The Research Post-Doc Fellow, with limited guidance from more experienced scientists, works individually and in collaboration with others on multiple projects which are moderate to complex in scope. The Research Post-Doc Fellow plays an active role in planning of projects and experiments and is often the technical lead responsible for the successful execution of the project. This position involves independently making detailed observations, analyzing data and interpreting results. Working in a team setting, the Research Post-Doc Fellow, will primarily be involved in Research and Development projects serving as a technical lead in translating research ideas and concepts into the product development pipeline towards development of diagnostic assay products.
This Research Post-Doc Fellow position will focus on proteomic biomarker and technology advancements. This position will be responsible for development of protein immunoassays for biomarkers and for the advancement of immunoassay platform performance by increasing sensitivity, applying multiplexing strategies and decreasing assay noise.
Synopsis of Program:
The purpose of the Exact Sciences Postdoctoral Fellowship Program is to help increase exposure, diversity, and quality of our research and development talent pipeline at Exact Sciences. The fellowship program provides outstanding PhD. graduates (in the field of life sciences) who are interested in gaining experience outside of traditional academic research the opportunity to gain industry experience in a leading cancer diagnostics corporation.
Exact Sciences provides one year of support for individuals who have demonstrated potential for significant research advancements in life sciences and have a strong interest in cancer diagnostics. Exact Sciences actively seeks representation across all genders, race and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, and veterans. All are encouraged to apply.
Duration of the Exact Sciences Postdoctoral Fellowship is a minimum of one year with the possibility of
extension based on satisfactory research progress but is not to exceed two years.
Exact Sciences encourages fellowship applications from individuals with prior research experience relevant to the study of cancer, cancer therapeutics, cancer diagnostics, cancer recurrence, biomarker discovery, PCR, and next generation sequencing.
Exact Sciences will provide research support by assigning an individual with the ability to provide strategic guidance and mentorship to the Fellow. In addition to supporting the Fellow in the planning, supervision, and execution of the research, the Exact Sciences aims to foster the development of the Fellow’s technical and analytical knowledge throughout the fellowship and further expand the Fellow’s aptitude for scientific inquiry.
include but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct bench level experiments within several product or technology areas and identify problems and discrepancies.
- Independently plan and analyze results of bench level experiments within several product or technology areas; effectively present at data meetings, group meetings, and project team meetings.
- Operate scientific instrumentation related to performance of duties and notify appropriate personnel of any problems.
- Effectively utilize and apply methods or technologies and provide ideas for new techniques, when appropriate.
- Maintain knowledge of technological industry developments that could assist in completion of an assignment or aid in the development of new processes or procedures.
- Provide technical input and participate in decisions affecting project planning and experimental design.
- Prepare and provide information and data for scientific abstracts/conferences/project meetings/publication.
- Generate, document, and communicate development plans for critical aspects of a project.
- Participate in the development of research plans and experimental outlines, write experimental protocols, and perform laboratory experiments.
- Prepare detailed technical procedures, protocols, and reports.
- Evaluate impact of nonconforming data to product or process.
- Identify and address trends in study data.
- Prepare and approve written reports.
- Lead identification of areas for process improvements.
- Maintain lab notebook in a complete and consistent manner, following all legal, ISO, and QSR requirements, as well as keeping clear and complete.
- Prepare reports and documentation providing the analysis or summarization of experimental results, outcomes, and next steps to supervisor, technical teams/groups, or project teams.
- Present experimental results and defend scientific ideas and findings at project or departmental meetings; provide technical input, as needed.
- Work on problems of diverse and complex in scope in which analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Exercise judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Work on individual assignments and with project team members, as appropriate, to meet department and project objectives.
- Work within project timeframes that are established collaboratively by team members.
- Act as technical leader for one or more projects that are moderate to complex in scope.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgement within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining and interpreting results, analyzing data, and presenting findings in a professional and knowledgeable manner.
- Promote an open, collaborative environment built on trust to foster positive teamwork.
- Assist in planning and recommendation of activities that account for prioritization of organizational and department goals.
- Ability to train and mentor research associates.
- Ability to organize, present, and convey moderate problems or issues.
- Ability to communicate clearly with supervisor and group members.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to collaborate, work effectively and contribute within team, department, and cross-functional teams.
- Strong attention to detail skills.
- Ability to effectively work on several varied projects at one time, with frequent changing priorities.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
- Apply technical knowledge, scientific creativity and rigor, collaboration with others, and independent thought; ability to provide insights and defend scientific ideas.
- Apply experimental knowledge and outcomes to new and valuable problems; ability to make predictions based on a deep understanding of the fundamental nature of the inputs into a decision or action.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 50% of a typical working day.
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Ability to use various types of laboratory equipment including microscopes, microtomes, blades, strainers, and pipettes for extended periods of time.
- May perform repetitious actions using lab tools.
- Ability to use near vision to view samples at close range.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing elements, and high-speed centrifugation.
- Ability and means to travel between local Exact Sciences locations.
- Ability to travel 5% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- PhD in life sciences, medical technology, clinical laboratory science, chemical/physical/biological science, or related field; or Master’s degree in life sciences, medical technology, clinical laboratory science, chemical/physical/biological science, or related field and 4 years of related experience in lieu of a PhD; or Bachelor’s degree in life sciences, medical technology, clinical laboratory science, chemical/physical/biological science, or related field and 6 years of related experience in lieu of PhD.
- 1+ years of experience in medical device/IVD, biotech, life science, or pharmaceutical industry.
- Demonstrated ability to apply molecular biology and/or biochemical techniques.
- Demonstrated understanding of GMP, ISO, and Quality Systems.
- Good knowledge of molecular biology and/or biochemistry and/or next-generation sequencing (NGS) and genomics.
- Basic knowledge of statistical and mathematical methods in biology/genetics/genomics; including experience with statistical software, such as JMP
- Proficient computer skills to include Internet navigation, Email usage, and word processing.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office to include Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Experience in protein immunoassay development including evaluating LoD, LoQ, precision and linearity of assays
- Theoretical understanding of or practical experience in multiplex strategies for immunoassays including commercial platforms.
- Hands-on experience with protein expression and purification techniques.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.Read the full article at: https://careers.exactsciences.com/