The Scientific Applications team is part of the global Scientific Applications and Training department. We work with teams across the company on projects that influence product research and development, manufacturing, and sales. We provide highly flexible, lab-based scientific support across the diverse range of Promega’s products. To do so, we adapt Promega chemistries to solve customers’ unique problems and optimize existing products for new uses. We are positioned to directly help scientists in academic, biotech, or medical diagnostics industries to solve technology-related problems. Our projects result in an immediate impact, making the work highly rewarding.
We frequently get to learn about new fields and technologies, and we work collaboratively to share that knowledge. Our management values career and personal development which may include opportunities to develop expertise in new techniques, use cutting-edge equipment, attend conferences or training, or take on new responsibilities within the team and company. We have recently moved to the new Kornberg Center, with beautiful and spacious facilities to support our research objectives. We are motivated scientists that like to learn, and we have a good time doing it!
As an Applications Scientist, you will plan and execute experiments across our diverse product portfolio to help scientists that are our current and future customers successfully use Promega chemistries in their research. You will receive experience and training on many technologies and areas of molecular biology enabling you to support internal and external scientists. Some projects will require you to work with colleagues to complete complex scientific objectives while other projects will let you work autonomously to complete your goals. As a member of our team, you will play an active role in leading team initiatives that will direct our team’s future.
You have previous laboratory experience, either working towards an undergraduate or advanced degree in science or working for a biotech company. You have performed experiments involving nucleic acid purification, real-time PCR, cell-based assays, or many of the exciting technologies that researchers are using every day for the advancement of science. If you have never run a luciferase assay or analyzed next generation sequencing data, that is ok too. You do not need to be an expert in all areas, but a strong scientific background and a willingness to learn and perform new techniques are necessary. You are comfortable with clearly communicating your ideas and results to colleagues and collaborators, analyzing data, and documenting your experiments. You enjoy working as a team on a variety of topics to help other scientists.
1. Independently design and perform various applications experiments on Promega products based on customer inquiries and concerns. Design experiments and analyze data necessary for product enhancements. Communicate results to appropriate staff.
2. Evaluate, validate and comment on products and related protocols in new product development as defined by the design control aspect of our quality system. Provide feedback to product team as an internal field test when necessary.
3. Apply knowledge of Promega’s complete product line to assist in the development of new applications for existing products.
4. Actively evaluate and make novel contributions to the scope of project requests to strengthen the impact.
5. Communicate experimental design, results and product technical capabilities to internal and external customers through publications, posters, seminars and trainings.
6. Directly interact with external collaborators to exchange information and materials.
7. Maintain clear and complete records of laboratory procedures.
8. Assist Scientific Training staff, as needed, to coordinate laboratories and seminars for in-house and field-based technical trainings and lab activities.
9. Track projects in the Scientific Applications and Training project management software.
10. Understands and complies with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
1. Direct the work of others.
2. Demonstrate or develop product applications at customer sites.
3. Provide operational support to new initiatives where the project scope requires advanced technical understanding and/or experience.
4. Execute web demonstrations of Promega products.
1. B.S./M.S./Ph.D. degree in molecular biology, cell biology, protein biochemistry or closely related area.
2. Minimum four years’ hands-on laboratory experience in molecular biology, cell biology and/or protein biochemistry.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
4. Regarded by colleagues as a knowledge resource in an area of specialization (e.g. short tandem repeat (STR) analyses, nucleic acid purification, reporter technologies, cell-based assays, high-throughput robotics).
5. Experience with handling biological samples, some of which may be potentially infectious samples. Understanding of appropriate bio-safety techniques.
6. Ability to frequently and accurately communicate with customers via the telephone.
7. Ability to maintain a safe and clean laboratory environment.
8. Ability to work independently with moderate supervision and with other team members in a cooperative manner.
9. Ability to teach and train co-workers and peers on techniques, products and related applications.
1. Computer background and experience with Windows based programs.
2. One-two years of customer service experience working in Technical Services, Sales or other customer/technical oriented area.
3. Previous teaching or technical training experience.
1. Ability to work with computer equipment frequently.
2. Ability to wear safety equipment (lab coat, goggles, gloves, etc.).
3. Ability to work at a lab bench and with a fume hood frequently.
4. Ability to work with radioisotopes occasionally.
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.