Xylome is a young, ambitious company that creates clean, sustainable oils, cosmetics, feeds and
biofuels from fermentation byproducts and agricultural residues. As a leading member of our
research team, you will be part of an interdisciplinary effort to create novel biochemical
pathways and products and take them to commercial reality. Xylome is renewing tomorrow
Associate Scientist/Postdoctoral Associate, Synthetic Biology and Metabolic Engineering
We are seeking an Associate Scientist with technical expertise in metabolic engineering of nonconventional
yeasts, fungi, plants, or other eukaryotic systems. A fundamental knowledge of
biochemistry, metabolic engineering or synthetic biology as evidenced by a PhD in these or
related fields or a MS degree plus three years of relevant industrial experience.
We are specifically seeking an energetic, creative, and highly self-motivated individual that
enjoys technical challenges and has a passion for continuous improvement. The successful
candidate will interact closely with molecular biologists, fermentation scientists, analytical
chemists, and external collaborators to optimize product formation and strain performance “from
If you enjoy solving difficult problems and make it your mission to create, improve and optimize
processes and metabolic pathways, if you thrive working in a team environment and enjoy
seeking out information from many sources to find a solution, and if you are not afraid to charge
ahead on a challenge and correct your course when experimental data or new information
presents itself – then this is the position for you.
• Propose innovative and impactful projects using risk/reward assessments
• Work with cross-functional project teams to support production of different molecules
• Contribute to the overall scientific knowledge and skill level of the group
• Plan and execute experiments supporting optimization of project objectives
• Collaborate using data to influence adoption of improved procedures, and techniques
• Contribute to sustained operational readiness of the laboratory.
• Conduct root cause analysis of unexpected experimental results and execute solutions.
• Document experimental results in SOPs and application notes
• Present results and train users on improved processes/equipment
• Solve advanced equipment/software failures.
• Independently design experiments to optimize assays, procedures, and protocols.
• Maintain safe practices and work environment.
• Realize goals through occasional weekend work or overtime.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must be legally qualified to work in the United States
• Desire to solve problems and share knowledge
• Demonstrated track record of independent critical thinking and scientific achievement
• Strong communication skills in presenting ideas, explaining results and, preparing reports
• Capability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks independently in pursuit of team goals
• Demonstrated ability to lead others in area of expertise
• Capable team player and collaborator both within and across functional boundaries.
• Proficiency in statistical tools to analyze data
• Attention to detail and careful record keeping skills
• Tenacity in pursuing objectives to completion correctly and on time.
• Embrace Xylome’s Core Values.
Xylome offers a competitive benefit and compensation package, including health care benefits,
and profit sharing/bonus. Compensation is commensurate with the candidate’s experience and
stock options are available to qualified candidates.
Xylome is in University Research Park in Madison, Wisconsin. Bordered by two lakes and
surrounded with many recreational areas, Madison consistently ranks as a top community in
which to live, work, play, and raise a family. Remote work is not available for this role.
To maintain a safe working environment proof of vaccination will be required on or before first
day of work.
To express your interest, please send a cv/resume and a brief cover letter to
firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31st, 2022.
As a Federal Contractor, Xylome is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any
other characteristic protected by law. Xylome complies with applicable state and local laws
governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email
address at Xylome prior to having a signed agreement. Xylome is not liable for and will not pay
placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment
partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered
your company’s gift to Xylome and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.