Department & Position Summary:
We are seeking a Research Associate for Bio-Techne’s Protein Purification department in Minneapolis. Our group supports 5000 different protein products used in academic research, pharmaceutical research, and all facets of biological science including: neurodegenerative diseases, stem cell research, glycobiology, developmental biology, etc. This individual will collaborate with many different departments to support the manufacturing processes of our products and contribute to the ongoing development of our growing and evolving portfolio. This position provides a potential for growth and career advancements within the company.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual to gain problem solving and troubleshooting experience in a collaborative lab environment. This position also provides continuous learning and development, flexible working hours, and the ability to learn and apply a variety of lab techniques every day.
- Purify proteins and enzymes for restock and modify existing protocols.
- Perform chromatography and SDS-PAGE.
- Revise protocols after making modifications for process methods.
- Follow standard operating procedures.
- Maintain lab equipment (concentrators, pH meter, columns, etc.).
- Maintain lab order and cleanliness.
- Filter and aliquot product for bulk storage.
- Prepare common buffers and reagents.
- Improve operation efficiency and contribute to reducing costs.
- Work with supervisor and manager to facilitate scheduling of projects.
- Maintain compliance with quality training and documentation.
- Follow company policies and practices as outline in the Handbook and follow guidelines regarding safety as outline in the AWAIR, Chemical Hygiene and Exposure Control manuals in accordance to the job.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- This position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biochemistry or equivalent degree with experience in protein purification or chromatography.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment where multitasking is required.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Must work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
- Experience with AKTA systems and Unicorn software or other FPLC system is a plus.
- Corporate work experience in a lab setting, preferably in a problem-solving role.
- Experience in protein purification either in a corporate or academic setting or as part of a school research project.
- Working knowledge of SDS-PAGE, protein concentration determination (Bradford and/or A280), protein concentration (Amicon and/or tangential flow filtration), dialysis, protein expression (E. coli, mammalian, insect cell) and protein structure and function.
Company Perks – Why Join Bio-Techne:
- We offer competitive salaries along with extensive medical, vision, and dental plans for you and your family starting on day one!
- We invest in our employees’ financial futures through 401k matching and an employee stock purchase plan.
- We help our employees develop their careers through mentorship, promotional opportunities, training and development, internship programs, and more.
- We offer employee resource groups, volunteer paid time off, employee events, and charity drives to build a culture of caring and inclusion.
- By joining Bio-Techne, you’ll join a company with a powerful and positive purpose to enable science towards treatment and prevention of disease.
- We foster a culture of empowerment and innovation, where employees feel valued and encouraged to bring their new ideas to the table.