At Valent Biosciences, our focus is on building the strongest portfolio of biorational solutions to improve agricultural productivity, protect public health, and keep our forests beautiful. It’s all part of our commitment to creating value for our customers around the world — and doing so in a sustainable way. Valent BioSciences develops, manufactures and commercializes biorational products with sales in 95 countries around the world.
Position Title: Research Technician
Description of Job: Assist and support Rhizosphere Research scientists in conducting experiments designed to support the development of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal (AMF) based products, including AMF mixtures with plant growth-promoting microbes that enhance plant growth and improve soil health. The position is primarily laboratory and greenhouse-based but will involve collecting/working with soil samples from field studies.
- • Assist in setup, maintenance, and harvest of greenhouse experiments.
- • Assist in the staining and evaluation of roots for AMF colonization.
- • Assist in the collection of AMF spores using a microscope.
- • Assist in the isolation and processing of soil microbes.
- • Perform regular microbiology tasks, including preparation of growth media, isolation, and culturing of microbes for lab, greenhouse, and field experiments.
- • Support molecular experiments e.g., isolation and purification of DNA.
- • Support soil sampling, processing, and soil health parameter evaluation.
- • Must be able to work independently and as a member of a team.
- • Contribute to general lab maintenance activities.
- • Ensure safe work practices are used.
- • At least 6 months+ of laboratory experience beyond laboratory classes.
- • Should have experience in growing plants.
- • Experience in molecular biology work is highly desired.
- • Working familiarity with standard aseptic techniques and microscopy.
- • Experience working with AMF and/or soil microorganisms is a plus.
- • Experience working with electronic laboratory notebook system.
- • Proficient in Microsoft and cloud-based applications.
- • Works well independently and as part of a dynamic team.
- • Will foster a culture of diversity and inclusion.
Education: BS degree in biology, microbiology, plant science, crop science, agronomy, horticulture, or related field.
Location: Biorational Headquarters in Libertyville, IL
Manager Title: Soil Microbiology Scientist